In the last few years my clothing style has changed. Gone are my power suits, but I still look polished and chic. My look is now what I’d call “Chameleon.” What ever I feel like wearing that day.
Regardless of the clothes, fashion is about confidence and attitude, not age.
The best purchase I made last year was a pair of black, leather pants. When Vinetta, my friend at Neiman’s, first suggested them, I thought she was crazy. I thought they were too young for me, but they’re not. Just because you’re wearing leather pants—not leggings, there’s a big difference—doesn’t mean you have to wear trendy from head to toe.
I travel, a lot, and never check a bag, so my pants have cut down on what I need to pack. Leather pants are comfortable on the plane with boots, a light silk shirt and a couple of long necklaces; add a sweater and scarf for warmth, or a dressy blouse and different jewelry for evening. Last year I wore my leather pants so much, the seat is now too baggy—which happens with leather—so I’m in the market for a new pair. Vinetta, are you listening? Can you find me another pair of black leather pants?
Last night a wide range of women, and men, gathered at San Antonio’s Neiman Marcus, LaCantera, to drink champagne and watch a parade of colorful fashions. Here are a few takeaways to keep in mind as you’re transitioning your wardrobe into Fall.
- Create a fun, folkloric look with colorful fabrics under easy denim jackets. For a bit of a 70’s look, wrap them in a royal purple fur.
- Lots of jackets worn over the shoulders. Velvet jackets with a light cashmere sweater underneath, worn with jeans.
- Big earrings and multiple necklaces are still the look. Remember, one necklace is an orphan.
- While you can still keep your heels chunky, comfortable shoes are back for day and evening! Yay!!
- It’s all about the color RED! Bordeaux, claret or crimson. Don’t be afraid to wear them all together.
- Forget the “no white after Labor Day” rule. You can always wear Winter White. Wear it head to toe, or paired with black.
If you’re a woman of a certain age, you’re probably wondering how you can incorporate some of these looks into your wardrobe. The answer? Any way you feel comfortable! We’re not our mothers’ generation! We don’t have to be prim and proper with our clothes. That doesn’t mean good taste goes out the window, but fashion should be fun.
If you’re not comfortable wearing a purple fur over your denim jacket, buy an oversized purple scarf. Fold it lengthwise, and wear it over one shoulder—even pinned at the shoulder with a great broach—or drape it over both shoulders like a cape.
Regardless of the clothes, fashion is about confidence and attitude, not age. That said, if you’re a woman of a certain age, please don’t wear tank tops with half of your breasts exposed. Black leather pants can be chic. Spaghetti straps and exposed, fleshy bosoms are just tacky…. Just my opinion.