White jeans will always be in fashion. Remember when Jackie Kennedy wore white jeans with a black or a blue and white striped top? They were straight-legged and sat on her waist, and she looked like a million bucks. A couple of weeks ago I asked if you still wore jeans, and the overwhelming majority of you said you will never stop wearing jeans. I, too, love jeans, but I’ve always been a bit leery of wearing white jeans.
If you don’t get them right… They can go so wrong.
- SIZE: White jeans make us look bigger than dark colored jeans so it’s important to get the right fit and proportions for our body type. Pay more attention to how they fit you than what size they are. Sometimes jeans, especially light colored ones, are more flattering if we go up in size.
- STYLE: For a curvy figure, look for slim or straight-legged jeans that don’t hug everything too tightly. For a tummy, high-waist jeans reduces the chance of muffin top. Bootcut jeans are more flattering if you’re pear-shaped, and if you’re slim you might want to look at a slim “girlfriend jean.” Slouchy “boyfriend jeans” can make us look like a housepainter.
- PAY ATTENTION TO THE FABRIC: Most of us don’t have a good view of our backside so we forget that white jeans, especially tight ones, have a tendency to show everything, including the cottage cheese on the back of our thighs, the crack in our derrière and the color of our underwear. Stay away from white jeans made from thin fabric, and jeans made from stretchy fabric (2% spandex is optimal) are especially prone to show everything.
- WEAR NUDE COLORED, INVISIBLE UNDERWEAR: Always wear nude, not white, underwear with no visible panty lines so they blend in seamlessly.
- HOW NOT TO LOOK BIGGER IN WHITE JEANS: Unless we’re very thin we need to think about the color and kind of tops or blazers we wear. Regardless of our figure type, dressing in a column of white is flattering and slimming on just about everyone. If you’re curvy you may want to wear lighter colored tops, and if you’re really curvy, you may want to go for a long, light colored top that covers part of your backside.
- GREY & WHITE ARE GREAT TOGETHER: Something about a grey sweater or a grey top and grey sandals with some bling on top can really dress up a pair of white pants.
- METALLICS & WHITE ARE FABULOUS: A pair of metallic, silver sandals or silver slip-on sneakers and a silver top can take white jeans to another level of chic!
- KEEPING THEM WHITE: Before wearing them for the first time—double check the advisory tag on your jeans—spray them with Scotchgard. Only wear them once or twice between washings. Over wearing without washing can cause them to become dingy. Only wash them with other whites. If they become dingy-looking, before washing, soak them in warm water with a color safe bleach for 30 minutes.