This week in New York City I attended the best conference ever: S.H.E. Summit, presented by the brilliant Claudia Chan and her team of women extraordinaire. For two days over 80, successful, inspiring women—and four men, including Deepak Chopra—gathered to tell us their stories. Women of diverse backgrounds, nationalities and ages reconfirmed that anything is possible; that women have the power to elevate one another to the next level and to literally change the world. Every woman there walked away with a network of new friends and an empowered sense of self.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor, the devil says, “Oh, crap!”
I’m honored to say five of the speakers are my friends. Some are women 1010ParkPlace has interviewed, like Ingrid Vanderveldt, Founder of Empowering a Billion Women by 2020, or we’re featuring in the near future: Women like Fran Hauser, Partner at Rothenberg Ventures and former President of Digital for Time Inc’s Style and Entertainment Group and Dayle Haddon, bestselling author, Founder of WomenOne, former supermodel and the face of L’Oreal Paris, who changed the paradigm of beauty for women of a certain age.
While there’s no way to replay the worth of every panel or introduce you to all the speakers, every woman there shared her knowledge and her wisdom with great generosity. Here are a few of their words I want to pass along to you.
- Make yourself a priority.
- Don’t live in time famine. Live in time abundance.
- The future belongs to those who are connected with themselves and with one another.
- Honor who you are. Standup for it, and follow through with everything you do.
- Permission starts with you.
- Take care of your body. It was given to you. It’s free. It carries you through everything.
- Courage isn’t the lack of fear. It’s acting in-spite of that fear.
- Surround yourself with other women who will lift you up when you need it.
- To worry is to pray for what you do not want. Reframe your thoughts around what you do want.
- Do the one thing that terrifies you. Do it every day.
- Your power to believe is your greatest power.
- Every dollar you spend should be casting a vote for that which you like.
- When we see women differently, we see the world differently.
- What are you willing to standup for? Now do it.
- Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor, the devil says, “Oh, crap!”
- Ask yourself how you can be a better friend.
- We must use our power to change the story line about women and about the world.
- Ask for more.
- Everyone will tell you no until you do it, and then they will applaud you.
- Be your own champion.
- Give yourself your daily dose of love.
- Practice stillness and listen to your wisdom.
- Don’t miss the moment.
- If a man doesn’t love you, kiss him goodbye and find someone who adores you.
- Change in the world starts with you.
S.H.E Globl Media (She Helps Empower the globe) and the S.H.E. Summit have reaffirmed the term “feminist”—women of all ages who are their own champions and champions of women around the world. Until you’ve been to a S.H.E. Summit, there’s no way to convey the significant, life-changing ripple it’s creating on a personal, corporate and worldwide level. Signup for Claudia Chan’s emails; mark your calendars for October, 2016, and plan to be at the Fifth Annual S.H.E. Summit.
I hope each of you finds time to hear the whispers and takes time to go inside and become more connected with yourself. Summon your strength. Seize it. Act on it. Make this time the best day, the best week, the best time in your life, and don’t miss the moment. It will never come again.